February 18, 2017: Feature story in The Nihon Keizai Shimbun (PDF)
January 21, 2017: Interview with Iwate Ippo (PDF)
January 21, 2017: Feature story in Kahoku Shimpo (PDF)
August 9, 2016: Interview for an article on female inheritance of the Chrysanthemum Throne, "If 'All Women can Shine' in Japan, Can They Do So on the Imperial Throne?" in The Christian Science Monitor.
June 22, 2016: Featured on the segment, "Efforts of Creating an Archive for Disaster-Affected Persons' Activities" in Iwate Nippo.
June 15-16, 2016: Workshop on Teaching Modern Japanese History and Keynote Speech on “Japan’s Lost Decades,” Japan Studies Institute, San Diego State University.
May 17, 2016: Lecture at Portland State University Japan Forum, “A Society Where Women Can Shine: Japan’s Impossible Dream?”
January 19-22, 2016: Staley Distinguished Visiting Professor, Arizona State University
- January 19, 2016: Lecture on "The Opportunity and Challenge of Digital Archives: Preserving the Record and Memory of Japan's 2011 Disasters" at the Digital Humanities Forum.
- January 21, 2016: Lunchtime talk on "What’s Happened to Japan: Thoughts on the ‘Lost Decades’" at Phoenix Council on Foreign Relations.
- January 21, 2016: Staley Keynote Lecture, “The Afterlife of Empire: The Politics of Memory in East Asia.”
July 24, 2015: Workshop on Japanese Political Culture from 1970s through 2010s at University of Zurich, Switzerland.
July 1, 2015: Presentation on "The Shifting Discourse of Japanese Particularity from the High Growth Era through the Lost Decades," as part of the symposium, Japan's Lost Decades and the Future of Japanese Studies. Hosted by the International Center for Japanese Studies, Kyoto (in Japanese).
January 31, 2015: Interview with Mainichi Shimbun on "Post-WWII Japan and its 70 Years"
January 20 - mid March, 2015: Exhibition of publications by Misuzu Shobo, and materials related to the Archive Summit 2015
January 26, 2015: Panelist for a symposium on strategies to create a national center for digital archiving in Japan, hosted by NPO, Conference on Strategy for Cultural Resources at the Archive Summit 2015 in Tokyo. Presentation in Japanese.
December 19, 2014: Presentation for the Gender History Workshop on "Toward A History of Post-postwar Japan: Changes in Employment and Society" at Kyoto University
November 10, 2014: Keynote speech titled, "Recovery from the March 2011 Disaster and International Disaster Prevention: The Significance of Participatory Digital Archives" at the opening of the International Research Institute for Disaster Sciences (IRIDeS) at Tohoku University
October 23, 2014: Keynote speech titled, "Making Sense of Japan's History of the Lost Decades" at the grande opening of the Research Centre for Comparative Japanese Studies, Chinese University of Hong Kong
October 19, 2014: Presentation at the symposium on Globalism and Contemporary History, Ritsumeikan University, on "History as Reflected in Disaster: Perceptions of the History of Northern Japan in the Digital Archive of the March 2011 Disaster"
October 11, 2014: Interview with Asahi Shimbun on "Post-WWII Japan and the Birth of the Middle Class"
October 5, 2014: Presentation at the annual combined meeting of Japan Historical Association and Northern Japan (Tohoku) Historical Association in Fukushima, Japan, on "History as Reflected in Disaster: Perceptions of the History of Northern Japan in the Digital Archive of the March 2011 Disaster"
August 11, 2014 : Translation of and Introduction to Prof. Hiroshi Mitani's journal article, "Why Do We Still Need to Talk About 'Historical Understanding' in East Asia?" in The Asia-Pacific Journal, Vol. 12, Issue 32, No. 3
July 21, 2014: Launch of an online course on Visualizing Japan, as a HarvardX-MITX collaboration, in September and October (and subsequently available in archived form)
July 14, 2014: Interview on Abenomics in Bloomberg Brief
May 18, 2014: Feature story in The Boston Globe, on creating a MOOC through HarvardX
February 10, 2014: Interview on Facultimedia about Fabricating Consumers
July 27, 2013: Hiroshima Conference for Nuclear Abolition, Panel Discussion at Hiroshima Peace Symposium on Asahi Shimbun
July 23, 2013: Publication of Japanese translation of Fabricating Consumers: The Sewing Machine in Modern Japan by Misuzu Shobo
Reviews (in Japanese):
- Review by Hiroo Yamagata, in his blog Politics' Manual, March 6, 2014
- Review by Asahi Shinbun, August 18, 2013 (http://adgordon.net/files/agordon/files/asahi_book_review.pdf)
- Review by Dokushojin, August 30, 2013 (http://adgordon.net/files/agordon/files/dokushojin.pdf)
- Review by Kyoto Shinbun, September 8, 2013 (http://adgordon.net/files/agordon/files/kyotoshinbun_review.pdf)
- Review by Nikkei Shinbun, September 8, 2013 (http://adgordon.net/files/agordon/files/nikkei_review.pdf)
- Review by Yomiuri Shinbun, September 9, 2013 (http://adgordon.net/files/agordon/files/yomiuri_review.pdf)
- Review by Mainichi Shinbun, October 27, 2013
- Review by Tokyojin, November, 2013 (http://adgordon.net/files/agordon/files/tokyojin_review.pdf)